The time has come….
R2 needs a friend.
I’ve actually started collecting bits to make my next droid. I’ll be picking up the bulk of the droid in a couple of weeks at R2UK. I’ve already got the motors, speed controller, Pi, and a few other little bits. Most of the other electronics are on order too.
Not 100% certain on what type of dome the droid will have, nor the colour scheme that I’ll use. That can all come later.
What I do know:
- Brushless Q85 motors (e-bike hub motors).
- ODrive controller for the motors (a lot cheaper than the Roboteq most people use).
- Will use r2_control (of course), but be able to swap out to standard RC quickly.
- Same battery as R2, so I’ll have two identical ones.
- All electronics will be on a removable board so that I can pull them out to work on outside of the droid.
- Dome will be wireless with its own (small) battery.
- Cheaper than R2 (much cheaper!)
I’ll probably also use steel feet to keep the center of gravity nice and low for stability.
So, it will mean a fair bit to do. I’ve never really worked with styrene before and with using both wireless comms for the dome and an ODrive there will be a fair amount of coding work to do on r2_control.
I’m going to try and keep a better build log for this one, with more work in progress pictures.